As a Software Development Manager, you will lead an engineering team to define, develop, deploy, and operate large-scale mobile and web client applications and distributed cloud services to deliver the best reading experience for our global customers. You will be responsible for building, maintaining, and organizing your team, defining your technical strategy and product road map, and defining, measuring, and reporting on your key performance and operational excellence metrics.
A successful candidate will have a track record of building and leading diverse and high performing teams that invent, build, and operate high quality software at scale in a global organization. The candidate will also be passionate about recruiting and retaining top talent, thrive while driving clarity in highly ambiguous technical environments, be skilled at developing long-term technical roadmaps, and have a strong technical ability to guide and coach. This position also requires excellent project management skills, great empathy and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
In This Role You Will
- Be responsible for the overall systems development life cycle of a key product and related subsystems.
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of an engineering team in an agile environment.
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, UX designers, and others to design and architect products and technical solutions aligned with the goals and vision of Amazon Kindle and Books.
- Manage departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and growing of individuals and a best-in-class engineering team.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience building production software systems
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering.
- Experience building products and services running in cloud.
- Experience building customer facing technology products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A love of books